Pages

Monday 16 May 2016

The plan is to cycle down the Dalmatian coast

Well now, here we are again about to start on a new tour and this time for reasons that escape me, we are going from somewhere called Ljubljana to Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik I understand, a world heritage site, this beautiful medieval city at the southern tip of Croatia is a place I am told, that everyone should visit at least once. The fact that a great friend of mine is getting married just up the road Trebinje the day after we are due to arrive, is of course a happy coincidence!

Our destination

No major changes for any of us since we last got together for our Lisbon to Valencia ride in 2014, Chris and Jeremy still rule their respective areas of the software industry, Graham still has an ever expanding garden maintenance business and Harley will probably be ‘in oil’ for the rest of his days. For my part I’m still in Khartoum, working for the largest food company out here and learning to navigate the extraordinary challenges of trying to run an honest, ethical business in a country with a chaotic and corrupt regime. On the personal side, we all seem to have arrived at that point in our lives when most of our children have buggered off to various universities and if mine are anything to go by, they are still struggling with getting the balance right between partying and actually doing some work.

As you might imagine, my training regime is somewhat different from the guys back in the UK, whilst their rides rarely miss out on plates of scrambled egg for breakfast and pints of beer for lunch, my weekend rides are somewhat more austere; rides through the Sudanese desert in 50 degrees of heat is kind of the norm out here.
Typical training session in the UK

Mind you, being a middle aged man in Lycra in Sudan is not as odd as you might think, My friend Abdel Rahman introduced me to a bunch of Sudanese, Ethiopian and Eritrean cyclists last year who meet up on a certain street corner in Omdurman every Friday morning for a peddle into the desert. OK, their equipment varies from something close to my mum’s old shopping bike through to the latest Specialized carbon frames with electronic gears - but don’t be fooled, these guys are fit. Try and keep up with them and you’ll end up profoundly exhausted and flagging down a Toyota pick-up for a lift back into the city which has happened to me once or twice – much to the amusement of an Irish accountant with whom I used to cycle.

Typical training session in Sudan
Cycling out here is not for the feint hearted though, since our Spanish trip, a pot hole sent me flying off my bike with such force I broke the top off my femur. My leg is now full of pins and plates, an operation I actually watched in glorious Technicolour, as my very competent Sudanese surgeon only thought it necessary to give me an epidural!

To give you a sense of how warm people are out here, I must have had 50 visitors and well-wishers when I got out of hospital, a series of visits which culminated in about 20 of the ‘Omdurman Crew’ turning up at the house in sweaty lycra to see how I was doing, after one of their long desert rides.

There is a slightly darker side to this place though, in March this year I had rather an interesting run in with the Secret Police on one of my rides. I was peddling down a rather nice long road around the back of Omdurman when some Kalashnikov bearing young men in a Toyota pick-up drove up beside me and started shouting and waving their guns. The next thing I knew, one of these guys had lent out of the pick-up and pushed me off my bike, he leapt out and pointing his gun at my head, told me to get down on the ground. They didn't speak English, but their instructions were clear enough, no talking, hand over your phone and get into the back of the pickup. I did as I was told and still at gun point I was whisked off into the desert and after some time arrived at a sinister looking army compound. Anyway my bike was duly unloaded and I was marched into an office and ordered to sit whilst lots of men made lots of phone calls and all this time, I was none the wiser as to what was actually happening. Eventually an ‘Officer’ turned up who spoke English. “What the F***S going on?” I enquired. “You’re not supposed to be on that road” he said. I asked why and what was wrong with me, as it seemed to be a pretty popular road and he said “well you can be on the road but you need a license” so I asked where I might get one, he didn’t know and after having thought for a moment said “the only reason we stopped you was we were concerned for your safety, stranger in a strange land and all that”. “You might have mentioned that to the guy who threw me off my F***ing bike and pointed a gun at my head” I responded. “Fair point” he admitted and shortly after that I found myself peddling back through the desert, shaken but not stirred, as they say.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Chris has put together a splendid route, although it may have a few too many mountains for someone who has only seen desert for the last 6 months. As we only have a 6 day trip this time we are aiming to complete a rather more modest 824 km but with over 13,000 meters of climbing (rather more than Everest) Our route sees us starting from near the Italian Boarder in Slovenia, crossing into Croatia and tracking down the Dalmatian coast to Dubrovnik where our wives will have flown out to meet us, Inshallah! We all meet up in the UK at the end of this week and set out from there. I think we are all set…


Keep you posted


No comments:

Post a Comment